Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 95000032
Historic Name BRISTOW MOTOR COMPANY BUILDING
Description of Significance THE BRISTOW MOTOR COMPANY BUILDING WAS THE FIRST AUTOMOTIVE DEALERSHIP TO OPEN IN CREEK COUNTY. IN THE 1920S, THIS SALES AND SERVICE CENTER CATERED TO LOCALS AND TRAVELERS ALONG ROUTE 66. IT IS REPRESENTATIVE OF OTHER DEALERSHIPS BUILT ACROSS THE COUNTRY DURING THAT TIME PERIOD AND MAINTAINS A HIGH DEGREE OF INTEGRITY. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 2/23/1995.
Current Name
Address 500 NORTH MAIN
City BRISTOW
County CREEK
Lot 9-10
Block 25
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function COMMERCE/TRADE: SPECIALTY STORE
Current Function COMMERCE/TRADE: SPECIALTY STORE
Area Signficance 1 COMMERCE 1926-1944
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared MAY 31, 1992
Year Built 1923
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style COMMERCIAL STYLE
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK, STONE
Window Material METAL
Door Material METAL FRAMED GLAZED SLAB
Decorative Details THE TWO END BAYS ON THE FRONT (EAST) FACADE ARE ACCENTUATED BY TRIANGULAR PEDIMENTS, WHICH ARE OUTLINED IN LIMESTONE. SET IN THE CENTER OF EACH TRIANGULAR PEDIMENT IS A DECORATIVE LIMESTONE CARTOUCHE, SHAPED IN AN OCTAGON AND ENCIRCLED BY VOUSSOIRS. BETWEEN THE TWO END BAYS IS A FLAT, SLIGHTLY STEPPED PEDIMENT WITH A LIMESTONE COPING. CENTERED BETWEEN THE STRINGCOURSE AND THE COPING IS A HORIZONTAL NAME PLATE OF LIMESTONE WITH "19 BRISTOW MOTOR CO 23." THE UPPER HALF OF THE SOUTH FACADE IS IDENTICAL.
Condition GOOD
Comments
Restricted N